Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with One Step

This is written on a photo hanging in our son's room. It's such a perfect saying and I love it so much. It can apply to any journey which you set out for, knowing that the first step will be followed by so many others before you arrive at your destination.

I barely know how to begin this blog and have to admit that I'm throwing everything out there, being completely transparent, accessible, naked, in the hopes that someone stumbles upon this blog and it resonates with them. Or in the very least, I attract a few readers who can provide me with information. I believe in the power of the internet. I believe in the collective knowledge of people who lurk.

With this humble introduction, I'll get to the point of things. We're launching ourselves into the adoption process. There I said it. I've said it to a few people already, announced it to my mom's group, told my own mother, but it hasn't been my status on FB yet, so it isn't quite public.

I feel like I could say that I plan to go to the moon and it would have the same affect. I am no closer to the moon and not a thing around me has changed. When you say you are pregnant, things change. You gain weight, get a little (then a lot) thicker in the middle, and after a predetermined length of time, you have a baby.

When you say you are going to adopt, nothing changes. Perhaps my Google History would reflect this admission, but that's about it. Any way weight I've gained is from stress and anxiety, not a fetus. And in 40ish weeks, I am fairly confident there will not be a baby. At the end of 4 years, I'm still cautiously optimistic.

But here, with this post, this blog, I hope to share with ill-prepared women who we are. What we're like, what adoptive parents can look like. And dare I hope, dare I even utter the words? Can I dream that one mother-to-be will read these words and reconsider abortion? Dare I aim so high? I'm not sure. But if nothing else, I can capture what will likely be the craziest adventure of my life that hopefully ends with a little bundle of pink or blue...or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment