Friday, March 16, 2012

Three Years Ago


Three years ago was the eve of Caden's due date. I anxiously awaited indications that he (or she) was on his (or her) way.

It wasn't until MAR18 at 7:00pm while I spoke with my sister on an uncharacteristically warm March evening that something started to happen. By 1:30am on MAR19, we were on our way to the hospital and at 5:33 that afternoon Caden Michael entered my life.

These past three years I've watched an infant become a baby and a baby become a little boy. A little boy with thoughts and ideas and a personality all his own. Shaped by his parents but fine-tuned by him.

Caden is an amazing little being. He is happy and healthy and loving and smart and has two parents who adore every inch of him. He loves tractors, dinosaurs, airplanes, cars, trucks, balls, trains and bubbles and probably a million other things I can't think of right now. He has us read two pirate books and the Itsy Bitsy spider book every evening. He can recite all of them almost perfectly.

Caden has endless energy. He loves to be around other kids and tends to outlast them on many occasions.

This week we visited a preschool where he will go in the fall with his "best friend" Ian. He will take soccer beginning APR01 and swim classes at the end of April. He will be the ring bearer in Shawn's cousin's wedding this fall. He will wear his first tuxedo next weekend.

Caden loves his sister.

He calls her Dell and kisses her and loves to check on her. He also blames his smelly messes on her.

Someday he will be potty trained, we hope someday soon but have our doubts. He has peed precisely once on the potty...on JAN31...and not since.

Caden loves chocolate, milk, chocolate milk, Gatorade, juice, chai lattes, chick fil a chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, and cheerios. He's not the best eater. He tastes broccoli and occasionally eats string beans.

He loves to be outside. He'll do anything just to be out there. Throw rocks, swing sticks, chase bees...any number of things that will land him in the ER (again).

In a few weeks we hope to have his playset completely assembled. It is now a playset in pieces. We hope he and Adele love it for years and years.

I can't believe how much I can love a little boy. My little boy. A little boy who I have had the privilege of raising for three years now. I am completely honored to be his mother. When he tells me he loves me or that I'm his best friend, he makes my heart melt.

We love you Caden and we hope you have a wonderful birthday party tomorrow!

Happiest of Birthdays to you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment