Monday, March 26, 2012

Little Boy in the Big City

I'm not a city person. There is little that appeals to me in a city. Yes, there is great food all over the place and I can buy milk or wine any time of the day or night. But I can't watch the woods thicken as the leaves begin to grow. I can't hear the fox cry or the hawk scream. I can't see the stars as clearly or feel the spring blossoms fall through the air.
I love the country setting.
This past weekend we went to New York for a wedding. It was a long, expensive weekend and I'm fairly certain our attendance was neither noted nor appreciated, because that's how some people are.
But we went none-the-less.
We went because it was the right thing to do. We went because hearing the back lash from not going is so not worth it. We went because we are so bloody rich, spending upwards of $3,000 on someone neither of us even speaks with is totally okay with us. Not like we have two kids and a mortgage to consider.
It was very nice to see some of our family members who we've not seen in a long time and it was a ton of fun to get all dressed up, eat good food, drink nice champagne, and dance in a beautiful room.
We're not morons, we recognize and appreciate beautiful things. And Manhattan may be dirty and filled with too many people, but it also houses beautiful things.
And above all else, I got to see my sweet little boy dun a tux and my darling little girl all dolled up in an over-the-top-adorable dress. She was passed around the reception room like a flask at a bachelor party.
We walked to Rockefeller Center and shopped at the Lego store before the wedding festivities. Following said festivities, we got in the car and spent our remaining $30 on tolls returning home.
And today, the windows are open, the sun is shining, and warm smells of spring fill the air and we are home. Where we belong. Far from the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment